Monday, March 10, 2008

Jagr Retiring A Possibility???

Reading an article on yesterday's 1-0 shootout win in today's New York Post, a pretty glaring quote comes through Larry Brooks' pen/typewriter/tape recorder/iPod/keyboard, whatever he uses.

Jagr, in Brooks' article said:"I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do next year, and I've known for three or four weeks, but I'm not going to say anything. I don't want that to become an issue," Jagr said. "I'm not going to say something that's going to be a distraction to the team."

I know it is sort of vague but it just sounds like the type of quote that seems to come when an athlete has decided to retire.

Jagr, who is in his 17th season as an NHL player, is having his least productive season ever. Now while an undetermined portion of the blame for that could be attributed to having a very difficult time finding a center who could help Jagr play his game, the point still remains that the Ranger captain's skills may be deteriorating.

In the past, poor performances by Jagr were always attributed to him either sulking, or just not caring about the overall result of his past teams. I can thankfully say that has not been the case in his tenure as a Blueshirt. While he may have coasted at times and seemed to give up on occasion due to sheer frustration of having to fend off multiple defenders anytime the puck came near him, one thing remained. He cares. He hates losing.

The past month or so I've watched him closely and he is putting in a very strong effort each and every night. While the points totals may not show it, the effort is there.

If this indeed is the home stretch of a distinguished NHL career, there is only one more thing I can say when it comes to Jaromir's final games as a Ranger. Cheers, it's been a pleasure watching.

No comments: