Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Premature Ecapulation Volume 2.

Okay, first things first. When first looking at the contract cost of Henrik Lundqvist's new deal it obviously jumps out at you as a huge land mine just waiting to obliterate everything from the waist down. But when thinking of contracts I always try to take a deep breath and look at the overall picture with regards to the salary cap.

A few months ago I dove into the Rangers cap situation and tried to see where they were headed going into next season. I had predicted Lundqvist to have a cap hit of $6.5 million for next year so really the scenario that I presented then pretty much still stands up. Having 3/4 of a season to see how things are developing however leaves me with a few revisions to my previous speculations. So here we go, the 3/4 pole edition of Premature Ecapulation.

Forwards under contract for 2008-2009: Scott Gomez, 7.35. Chris Drury, 7.05. Petr Prucha, 1.6. Brandon Dubinsky, .633. Blair Betts, .615. Colton Orr, .538. Ryan Hollweg, .507. Ryan Callahan, .489. Dane Byers .608.

That is nine forwards under contract for the season, total cap hit for that group is $19.39 million.

Restricted Free Agents and their current salaries: Sean Avery,1.9. Nigel Dawes, .475. Greg Moore, .740. Marcel Hossa, .780.

First, Sean Avery. I love watching him play. He adds alot to the experience of being a Ranger fan. If it's not arguing with those that love or hate him, it's laughing at the outlandish things he comes out with in interviews. The entertainment factor alone would want me to see him come back. Since he's been injured alot this season, and will have surgery in the off season, I could see the Rangers getting a decent deal for Avery's services. I'd like to see a 1 or 2 year deal at $2.5 million. Nigel Dawes, when in the lineup, has shown some very nice things. He seems to be the kind of guy that has gotten all he will get out of AHL experience. It's time he became a legit NHLer. I could see him getting a deal a bit lower than Petr Prucha's since Prucha's deal was based on two seasons in which he scored a total of 52 goals. In the sample I've seen from Dawes I would think a 2 year deal at about $950,000 would be about right. Greg Moore would probably be signed for a bit less than his current deal, putting him in the Brandon Dubinsky range of $630,000. Marcel Hossa, Ughhh. Do the Rangers give it one more shot? Only if his brother comes at a discount. More on that later.

So with resigning RFA's for a total of $4.o8 million that brings the total to 12 forwards for $23.47 million.

Defensemen under contract for 2008-2009: Marc Staal, .827. Thomas Pock, .667.

Yep that's it. Obviously the defense corps is going to look a bit different than this year. Or will it.

Restricted Free Agents and current salaries: Fedor Tyutin, 1.02. Daniel Girardi, .750. Ivan Baranka, .521.

Back during Volume one of this thing I had projected Tyutin and Girardi to continue to develop and in turn demand a higher pricetag to retain their services. Well fortunately for cap reasons this hasn't exactly been the case. Both are having difficulties this season, but not so terrible that I'd like to see them go the way of their UFA brethren Marek Malik and Paul Mara.

I'd re-sign them both, Fedor Tyutin for 3 years for $4.75 million and Girardi 3 years for $3.3 million. Tyutin's cap hit would be 1.58, Girardi's 1.1. Baranka I would resign 2 years for $1.5 for a cap hit of .750.

I would also re-sign Jason Strudwick for 1 year for .550 as a depth guy.

That is 6 defensemen for the low low price of, $5.53 million . Add the 23.48 million for the forwards and that brings the skaters under contract total to $29.01 million.

Goaltenders: Henrik Lundqvist, 6.87
Well any speculation about the goaltending situation is gone. The haircut is the #1 goaltender and will be until he turns 31. Case closed. Steve Valiquette has shown that he can be a very capable backup I'd re-sign him and even give him a little raise for his troubles. 2 years at $800,000 per year.

Goaltenders total $7.67 million

That brings us to $36.68 million towards the cap. I'll even prudently add $3.00 million to that figure in bonuses that may or may not carry over to next season so that is $39.68 million of eaten up cap space. If the salary cap does not go up from the $51.00 million that it is this year that would leave a shade over $10 million to sign a top free agent defensemen and a forward. If the cap goes up, even better. If the Rangers re-sign Jaromir Jagr that would obviously put a bit of a dent into that cap space. And what about the prospects that may or may not be available next season. I myself think it's time to let the Jagr era go. I'd make an effort to sign Brian Campbell in the neighborhood of $5 million and hope that works. If it doesn't I roll the dice with prospects and see what they have. If Marian Hossa can be had for less than say 6.5 to 7 million I might consider it, but I'd be hesitant. Would he come at a discount if his brother was re-signed, I doubt it, but I'd still look into it.

So it's back to the "wait and see" game until July for as far as next season's roster goes. The trade deadline looms not too far off so we'll see if there are any shakeups that throw a wrench into my little plan here.

No comments: